Following the revelation that Israel for now has decided to not accept the Norwegian FM’s request for a meeting, it is of course entirely possible that this unusual snub is down to the fact that at the moment there is only a care taker government in place in Israel. However, on the other hand, it is also entirely possible that somebody in high offices have decided that whilst outright snubbing Norway’s request for a meeting isn’t in Israel’s interest, it might nevertheless be an appropriate moment to turn on the alarm bells in Norway, that things are no longer automatic….

Comment: How Israel should face hostile Norway gov’t

By MANFRED GERSTENFELD
LAST UPDATED: 08/11/2011 21:21

In order to develop a new attitude toward the Norwegian gov’t, one must understand characteristics of country’s “progressive elite.”

Authorities search for bodies in Utoyea, Norway

Authorities search for bodies in Utoyea, Norway Photo: REUTERS
In recent years, there have been frequent harsh verbal attacks on Israel initiated by the Norwegian government. The same is true for large segments of Norway’s cultural elite, including many media outlets, several Lutheran bishops, university leaders, trade unions and NGOs. This incitement has remained largely unanswered by successive Israeli governments.

Norway’s government, which is dominated by Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg’s Labor Party, has been soft on Palestinian terrorism, and has even promoted it indirectly. A few examples of the anti-Israeli hostility are enlightening.

Most Western countries do not lend legitimacy to the Hamas terrorists who promote genocide of the Jews. Norway’s Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Støre, however, has held several meetings with Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal.

Støre also wrote a back-cover comment for a book by two radical leftist physicians, Mads Gilbert and Erik Fosse. It contains a contemporary version of the blood libel, stating that Israel launched Operation Cast Lead to kill Palestinian women and children.

Last year, the Norwegian Foreign Ministry cosponsored an exhibition in Damascus of anti- Israel hate drawings by the Norwegian artist Hakon Gullvag.

The hundreds of other examples of de facto Norwegian support for Israel’s enemies should have been exposed publicly long ago. The present situation, however, is propitious for a change in Israel’s attitude toward Norway’s establishment.

Anders Breivik’s despicable murders have generated unprecedented international attention for Norway. Before this, the country was usually mentioned only once a year when the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded.

Due to this publicity, far more about the establishment’s anti-Israel stance has become known.

On the island of Utoya, children of 14 years and up were being taught incitement against Israel by the extremist leaders of the AUF, the youth movement of the Labor Party.

Pictures of a poster calling to boycott Israel and of “Gaza flotilla games” will continue to remind many of the hate-character of the camp.

A day before the murders, Støre spoke at Utoya and called for the removal of Israel’s security barrier, which has dramatically diminished suicide bombings.

This is tantamount to the indirect promotion of terror. Støre knows terrorism all too well, having survived an attack in Kabul in 2008 in which a Norwegian journalist accompanying him and five others were killed.

In order to develop a new, coherent Israeli attitude toward the Norwegian government, one must understand the key cultural characteristics of the country’s “progressive elite.”

These include an absence of self-doubt and self-criticism, with an overlay of Marxism.

Such characteristics have bred much arrogance, shamelessness and intellectual dishonesty.

Twisting the truth comes naturally in such an environment, as even obvious lies often go unchallenged by the country’s media. However incredible it may sound, there are many examples of this.

One also has to understand what the Norwegian government’s aims are. It wants to use part of its oil and gas wealth to build a worldwide peace-promoting image for the country.

Deputy Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide wrote last Friday inThe Jerusalem Post: “We have a proven track record of committing our political, financial and military resources to peace-building activities around the world, where combating both terrorism and the causes of terrorism are important objectives.”

If George Orwell were still alive, he could have expanded his terminology to include: “Hate-mongering is peace-building” and “Promoting terror is combating terrorism.”

Attacking Israel and ignoring major Palestinian and Arab crimes comes naturally to many among the Norwegian elite. The best way to counter this is by frequently exposing examples of indirect Norwegian support for terror, hate-mongering and double standards, as well as inaction against anti-Semitism by the government.

Due to the recent massacre, a number of foreign journalists have also familiarized themselves with the perversities that permeate Norway’s elite culture. Israeli reactions fighting back are likely now to get more media attention than in the past.

The Israeli Embassy in Oslo has presented a long list of biases on the part of Norwegian State Broadcasting System NRK to its supervisory council, which has waved it away.

People working for such an anti-Israel propagandist body should not be given recognition by Israel’s Government Press Office. NGOs that receive money from the Norwegian government should be scrutinized. How much Norwegian money is used by Palestinians for terror should be investigated. Doing all this is virtually risk-free. The Norwegian government could hardly cause more damage to Israel than it already has, without information about its perverse actions being widely spread.

The Norwegian elite’s culture will not undergo structural change due to the massacre in Utoya. For Israel to modify Norwegian perceptions of it would require suicidal risk-taking. Any successful policy must, therefore, be based on a radically different approach: the continued public exposure of Norwegian hate-mongering, so that its government’s international image becomes as tarnished as its reality.

The writer has published 20 books, two of which address Norwegian anti-Israelism and anti- Semitism.

15 comments for “new relevance to old comment: Gerstenfeld suggested how Israel govt should deal with unfriendly Norwegian govt

February 13, 2013 at 3:26 pm

this is really what you are doing : ) Find fact and put them up on the wall and let people explain them self. And we all can learn somthing from it and move forward.

This one is funny:

2. February 14, 2013 at 1:05 am

Have you seen this clip and do you know its circumstances?

It is predictable to see the elite expert and representative of the government show a blindness in the face of facts that support what Gerstenfeld has said.

February 14, 2013 at 1:57 am

McG has pointed out this for a long time.

Well it has been pointed out her in Norway by TV 2 since 2008

McG to your joy MIFF has now 7585 likes (nearly 100 on two days) PK has now 2126 (50 new in two weeks). SV has 10 000 members in Norway and MIFF have goals to become lager.

We don’t sell the skin before the bear is shoot! Lets pray that MIFF can continue to get support among ordinary Norwegians. They have moved a long way forward after Sissel Wold left them. Sissel Wold is a person that wanted to become religious (Jewish) but couldn’t make it. So she has dedicated her life to tell the world how awfull Jews really are, some call it a bitter person that has to be protected from them self others as NRK put it on air. Long live madness!

Mental experiment with children form Norway in the 70:

The telly has a off button!

February 14, 2013 at 6:08 am

Well norwegian, after reading the above regarding Stoere, d you still believe that a0 he is a nice person and b0 that he is not a Jew hater? As Henry and Eric state many time, when an object quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it is a duck.

I’ll keep repeating this. The only difference between the extremeleftwing (communist)international socialist hatred of Israel and the extremerightwing nazi)national socialist hatred of Israel and the Jews is only one thing Inter!

February 14, 2013 at 8:43 am

what are my reall options when they have decided to love me?

I just look like the person that don’t understand her own best.

February 14, 2013 at 8:46 am
    February 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Gerstenfeld is far too timid.

Israel should give Norway 60 days to lift the ban on Shechitah and recognize Hamas as a terrorist group. If Norway refuses, then diplomatic relations should be broken (or the Israeli Ambassador recalled and the present Ambassador of Norway in Israel declared “persona non grata”) and Norwegian journalists should be publicly and very visibly rounded up and expelled from the country.

Then tell the Swedes that they are next.

February 15, 2013 at 12:36 am

Eric R.
    thanks to US that closed the borders for Jews once, that was so nice for my greatgarndmother that was beaten to deaft by a political activist her in Norway! That is my reason to use all what I have to make people aware what psycotats can do if someone feed them whit ideas! And thank you for all the jewish dinner partys when one are not spoken to because a mistake one has done. Should I continue to complain?

I think Gerstenfeld are realistic and that he do his best to be clear so that everyone can see that its his opinions not the Jewish we. For that I respect him a lot more than you! Shape up Eric R. Now you behaved really childich!

February 15, 2013 at 3:22 am

nrwegian, I was unaware the labour party loved you. If they hate Israel and the Jews, so much, how can they love you? At the very least, they actively despise Jews so much and then have the khutspah to become involved with International Holocaust Memorial Day. This was a first class insult and disgrace.

There is a get out clause for them, after all. They can show humanity towards all those slaughtered except the Jews. Now this I can understand, as socialism is the new religion on the block, surpassing Christianity. At the same time, they love all mankind except for the Jew.

Having been at the sharpend for being a Jew for so long, I am definitely not paranoid about Jewhate, just aware of it enough to confront it when it appears. There is no doubt about the Norwegian elite, they are what they are. And that is Jewhating which is the number one focus.

February 15, 2013 at 3:23 am

Eric R. meah akhuz. 100% behind you, or even in frfont of you. :)-

February 15, 2013 at 8:36 am

you and Eric R. should read more what Gerstenfeld write and try to see the situation for the people that live in Norway as he does. The Norwegian Jews are regarded diffrent from a israeli her in Norway. And that is a fact. As a Norwegian I can join in to the public debatt and reach people in a different way than a Jewish person from Denmark, England, US osv. What the israeli has told me is that the same goes for Israel. I will be regarded as a stranger down there and all says that if I want to go I have to be with an israeli or I can end up in problems.

You say that the Jewish people are a nation, when I was a childe and cried I was told don’t cry the whole world cry then. Martin its something power full in these words that open once mind in a different way than if one just say no, no, no to a childe. One give the childe the whole world and all that comes with it good and bad. Its the charma that follow this education that scare the no, no, no souls that always has been keep them self down on the ground. I know that if you go into you heart you find a lot more usefull there than any page of internett can give you. All best : )

February 18, 2013 at 4:49 am

norwegian, I agree with you. People, especially Jewish who negatively critice Israel without having lived there, paid taxes, been in the IDF, have no right to do so. So why does Norway as a country believe it has the right to mollycoddle Israel’s enemies while at thesame time wage a campaign of hate aginat that country.

I understand that from the goyim’s attitude towards israel, not just in Norway but more or less everywhere, local Jews are seen as part of the problem if they defend Israel.

I lived, worked and paid taxes in Norway, I was also for a short time a paid member of the Oslo community. Therefore, unlike Mr Gerstenfield, I do have some experince that he lacks. Even in late 1969 to early 1973, when I was in Norway, it became evident to me that the official and unofficial attitude towards Israel was beginning to deteriorate. To the extent that today it has become avile hatred. When the term Jew is considered an insult and has become the clear connection with Israel, then Norway has indeed become an enemy of Israel.

For that reasaon, I state again that Israel should cancel all doplomatic ties with a an official Jew/Israel hate practising Norway.

As a matter of interest, in the mid to late 1970′s, I used to visit Speakers Corner in Hyde Park, London, where I visited the Herut manned stand with the Israeli flag./ I met real hatred from Arab and westerner. At the time of Entebbe, when the Jewish people rejoiced at the freedom of Jews, Israeli and non Israeli by the madman who ran the country of Uganda, an Arab woman looked at whith real hate and hissed at me “Metulla, death to the Jews.”
    This was the time when “brave” Arab “heroes” took over a school in northern Israel and began to systematically began murdering Jewish children. Believe me, ABB is only a prawn compared to these people.

Once arguing in favour of Israel, an Israeli questoined me, why do I believe that I have the right to speak about what Israel should and should not do. I turned him round and him my Israeli dogtags, he smiled and wished me well.

February 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I want to eat chocolate the next year so this will be my last comment on this page until after the election.
    No doubt that you have a lot of experience with Norway, and I hope you see that your contribution to this page give an extra dimention to the picture of Norway. Its just that sometimes you, Herbert and Eric fier on so hard that you don’t see the white falg that people hold up. I have a back to be LOL, a duck, a hore, a fallen, you name it, call me what you want I have probably heard it all. But its not fun when I know all of you can be very kind and nice. I think Manfred is a true gentelman and that is why he wins womans hearts like he do.

February 20, 2013 at 9:23 am

Yes norwegian and that is why Gerstenfeld is verboten in Norway!
    I have yet to see a white flag from any of those who contribute their negative comments about the Jews or Israel here.

Noone here has called you any of the things you mention. Enjoy
    your dark chocolate, they say it is good for the heart. I eat some every day, for medicinal purposes of course. :)

February 20, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Yes its dark and its for medicinal purposes same whit the spoon of conjack : ) Ok, the guys has been super nice to me,
    all are so charming and cute : )