Sometimes you simply don’t know if you should cry or laugh. Or just cringe… Apparently this is what happens to the brain of people who have sniffed too much of the dialogue glue….
lifted from dagen.no (google translate)
Wore a Palestinian scarf to the commemoration of Jewish persecution
When dialogue priest Odd Kristian Reme was speaking at the 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht , he wore a Palestinian scarf . – Abuse of what happened to the Jews , said Ervin Kohn .
I strongly condemn that he uses the memory of Kristallnacht to highlight other political issues, and this is a misuse of what happened to the Jews , said Ervin Kohn , head of the Jewish community in Oslo.
Odd Kristian Reme is the leader of the Ecumenical Dialogue Centre in Stavanger. He was invited by the organizer SOS Racism to hold an appeal in the square Saturday. He did so wearing a Palestinian scarf around his neck.
In a comment to Kohn statements , Reme points out that the commemoration of Kristallnacht is important to him .
– And there is no doubt about what is and should be the main issue : The commemoration of victims of anti-Semitism ,in particular the victims of the Holocaust. For me it is also proper and natural to associate Kristallnacht to current challenges , says Odd Kristian Reme to Dagen .
He refers to the ongoing struggle against anti-Semitism and still antijudaism, and against all forms of discrimination and oppression.
– The only form of confirmation that I was, is and still remains Palestinian friend, was a little scarf ! With that , I wanted to convey that the Palestinian friends must stand up against anti-Semitism . And it must honestly be possible , says Reme .
After his picture with the scarf around his neck was posted on aftenbladet , a heated debate has started on Facebook .
” Disgusting ,” writes Joatle Vehus .
” The celebration was Kristallnacht , and Reme’s Palestinian scarf was inappropriate ,” writes Ole Christian Måland .
“Went to the event with a young Jewish couple. They were shocked , and they said it was better if there had been no rally. Reme ought to be ashamed, “writes Marit Vigdel .
Odd Kristian Reme does not deny that it was a deliberate choice to use a Palestinian scarf .
– I think it was meaningful with a small symbol during this event , says Reme to Eve magazine .
– I think it must be possible both to highlight and denounce anti-Semitism and what happened Kristallnacht – while supporting the Palestinian cause which is that both people must have equal rights , says Reme .
In his appeal , he was keen to highlight that racism and ethnic discrimination is something for everyone, whether you’re talking about Jews in the world or Roma people in Stavanger.
– I would point out that it does matter who they are, but that it is our common duty to commemorate the victims of this type of events , says Reme .
Mis – use
Ervin Kohn responds to the priest involvement of the Palestinian cause in connection with Kristallnacht .
– It is an exploitation of this serious incident , and is an attempts to politicize an important event, says Kohn .
He adds that in several areas of the country , the commemoration of Kristallnacht has become something completely different than what was intended.
– Therefore, the Jewish community has reclaimed the ownership of the event in Oslo, and the day was held in collaboration with Centre against Racism and Youth Against Racism , said Ervin Kohn .
” November pogroms »
It was the Nazis who gave it the name Kristallnacht . The HL Center, Center for Studies of Holocaust and Religious Minorities , does not use this term , but rather ” November pogroms .” It was in fact not only material damage that was destroyed that night .
– Jews were killed and many beaten, including children were taken out of the nursery and violently abused. A hundred years of cultural cooperation between Jews and Germany ceased as a result of this incident , said Ervin Kohn .