Jagland responds to Peres’s letter to throw out circumcision ban vote

lifted from aftenposten.no

Its interesting to see how a little useless skin flap has got the passions boiling. Meanwhile, the Syrians keep dying in throes…. I have since long lost count of the number of children who die per day due to starvation. Oh wait, nobody is interested in those kinds of problems…. Good reply from Jagland, although he could brush up his basic knowledge on Judaism. But the bottom line is very clear. Kudos!

A Jewish Right

Author : Thorbjørn Jagland , Secretary General , Council of Europe

Aftenposten’s Inger Anne Olsen writes in her piece on Sunday that when I appear on Monday as the guest of honor at what is probably the largest gathering of rabbis in Europe after the war, the Council of Europe’s resolution on circumcision is likely to come up. This was a resolution by the Parliamentary Assembly, a consultative body. On such issues, it is the European Convention of Human Rights and the Court that speaks on behalf of the Council.

Given this, I clearly defend the right to freedom of religion and circumcision. This, and because the Jews in Europe look to us as a strong supporter in the struggle against the resurgence of antisemitism, that I am tonight’s guest of honor.

Jews view the right to practice their religion as fundamental to their ability to live at all in Europe. A covenant Circumcision has its origins in the Torah , where it is mentioned 13 times . We know of Abraham’s encounter with God – the forefather of the Jewish people. God told him to kill his only son Isaac to prove the he obeyed God. When Abraham raises his knife, God’s angels stop him. He had proved that he was willing to obey. This sealed the covenant between God and the Jewish people . God ordered all male Jews to be circumcised to judge as evidence of that they are Jews . That circumcision happens aspects of the eighth day is important : It was at this day Abraham Isaac changed its name to Israel.

Circumcision is therefore a basic act in Judaism and among the Jewish people. To allow newborn circumcision means to secure continuity of the Jewish people’s continued existence.

Notice of hard times

In the light of history nobody should be surprised that the new demands to prohibit or restrict circumcision creates fear among Jews. Each time this has happened before, they have turned out to be precursors to oppression and pogroms.  In today’s Europe there is particular reason to be cautious about intervening in people’s religious convictions. The growing religious diversity we have has explosive potential. We see how extremist forces take advantage of differences and ignorance.

We can not put everything into our often rational , medical and scientific way of thinking. To us, circumcision appears as a traumatic event. And then we immediately turn it into a medical problem we can solve with prohibitions or age limits. In this country, we like to pronounce good intentions every year in speeches and editorials in connection with Kristallnacht. But when it comes to a real understanding of Jewish religious convictions and the fears they have on the basis of European history, we often come up short. Then we argue that “our” identity is the what matters .

Instead of prohibitions and restrictions should we ensure that circumcision can occur under the best medical conditions. It’s the least we can do to safeguard a minority that also our people tried to annihilate .

14 comments for “Jagland responds to Peres’s letter to throw out circumcision ban vote

November 13, 2013 at 3:01 am

its probably going to be a show, this page has had 100 new likes in one day.

Just to read what people write in full name give one a cold shower. Her emotions is in power. What was deomcracy, never mind on the facebook page I like its so many people that talk and think just like me so I’m right your wrong and its nothing you can do about it (irony).

If a band comes how many Norwegian Jewish parents will it be left then? If no children are Jewish should all convert at the age of 18?

Is this somekind from revenge from the people from ships to Gaza?

2. Roland Day
    November 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

Religious rights are subdivided into the right to believe and the right to practice.

The right to believe is an absolute right but the right to practice is a conditional right that does not extend to violating the rights of others.

Circumcision of male children clearly violates numerous human rights of the child so it is appropriate to limit the right to practice circumcision of children until the child can decide for himself.

This matter was settled by the United States Supreme Court in the case of Prince v. Massachusetts in 1944.

November 13, 2013 at 11:44 am

Is his second name Janus?
    Is this the same man who served with that Jew hating, terrorist loving prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland?
    Is this the same elitist within the Oslo clique that drafted the disastrous Oslo Accord?
    Is this the same man who was so fond of Yasser Arafat, whom he met in Beirut in 1978?

To recall, this was the period when the PLO was running riot and responsible for the deaths of thousands of Lebanese.people, Christian, Muslim and Druse.

I appreciate the fact that he was and still is involved with the traitor Peres. I would trust him as far as I could throw a bucket of pig shite, preferable over him. Beware of this man. I do not believe that he has the interests of Jewish people or of Israel. Just look up the background of this man. Another career politican,

4. Mark Lyndon
    November 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm

That skin flap just so happens to contain the most sensitive and pleasurable parts of my genitals. How about we let everyone decide for themselves whether or not it’s “useless” and whether or not they’d like to have it cut off? It’s *their* body.

Cihldren were dying of starvation when they banned making any cut on a girl’s genitals btw, but that doesn’t mean if was wrong to pass the legislation. Some people believe it is their religious right or obligation to circumcise girls, but it was still made illegal, and rightly so.

5. November 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I am always fascinated to see the furious reaction when we touch on the sensitive issue of mens willies. Calm down dear, all this excitement won’t do you any good.

6. November 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Ok, smart ass, then why is circumcision still widely practiced in the US? and why do you think US supreme court rulings are valid outside the US? Maybe you just have a hard time understanding what you read?

7. November 13, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Whether the exquisitely pleasure receptive sleeve of skin is “a little useless skin flap” or an essential part of normal sex is for only the owner of the penis to decide.

Anyone describing foreskin as a flap clearly has ZERO knowledge of normal genitals and should not be trusted to make decisions about genitals even in an emergency, let alone when a non-therapeutic amputation is proposed.

8. November 14, 2013 at 12:33 am

I pride myself on having a few other thoughts/interests/responsibilities, etc, etc in my head than worrying about a smelly little skin flap. Apparently you have very little important or meaningful going on in your life, hence your bizarre preoccupation with your willie. Be careful so you don’t get wobbles on it….

November 14, 2013 at 3:05 am

Ron Low,

When it comes to sex its so many people that have problems in diffrent ways. But that Jewish men are sexuall handicaped is something I really doubt is true. I think you use the equility card to fare when you judge that other people can’t have good sex.

I think parents that are strong religious will do things more hidden if one band religion to childre the effect is that the child has to live in two worlds. It will also be more complicated for non religious to interact with religious because what should one do if one understand that they have done something unlegal after secular laws?

I know a family that is very strong Lutherans and their child refuse to wash hands when I ask her. She feel that its religous from me. Its their opinion. We have just made cookied at our home and to my supprice this childe had her hand in pants. I could not tell her no since that might offended her feelings. After I was informed that she had told the other children that she had worms. Today do I have to do the unplessant talk to her mother if this is correct. If it is I will ask our doctor what we have to do. I’m just very glad that my children don’t put their hands in their trouses, that the wash hands after toalett, before cooking and eating. Its a situation that could have been avoid and instead of leting thing in the hands of the Lord as this family does.

McG hope you don’t eat when you read this, have not told my mum this yet, she will freak out 100%.

November 14, 2013 at 5:12 am

To those who complain about circumcision of 8 day old boys, I ask are you so interested in the children or just making a political cause.
    How many of you approach a Muslim site to complain of girls being circumcised, that is a Muslim practice, not a Jewish one?
    How many of you complain or react to women’s rights groups and others to ban abortions? Many of those abortions carried out are on babies, near to being grown?
    Why do you not complain of abortion being practised as a multi use for birth control?
    Nah, just have another dig at the Jews. Quite frankly, I relish the day that Europe will be ethnically cleansed of Jewish people and just allow you Jew haters to wallow in your own filth. When that day does arrive, I hope that there will never be another return to the largest Jewish burial ground in the world.

11. ml66uk
    November 14, 2013 at 5:35 am

Women have “little skin flaps” too, but we didn’t insult and mock people when they banned surgery on girls to remove them. Even a pinprick is banned on a girl. Why then is it so controversial that people think that males should be able to decide for themselves whether or not they have irreversible genital surgery?

12. November 14, 2013 at 3:31 pm

get real! Calling my tradition and my religion barbaric and worse certainly is an insult if ever there was one. Have a cuppa and calm down.

November 15, 2013 at 1:06 am

its only fun if someone get angry. These people have their own problems. I have just found out that one of my exfriend that clame to be a true Jew is working to get a band. Hope DMT is smarter than Martin and other Jewish men that just love people that talk them after their mouth and smile to them. Then when they understand that the perfect person they dreamt about was just an illution my shoulder is not to cry on! Let them fix their own mess McG, if a band comes in Norway its a problem for DMT as they probably will have to talk parents away from doing circumcision to get money from the government. If that is not corrupt I really don’t know what is corrupt!
    But hey I’m not Einstein so : )

November 17, 2013 at 7:37 am

Let us be honest. These men, and I use the term in a questioning manner are so against circumcision, only due to their own inadequacies. Shame is it not?