In spite of hyped up boycott campaigns, with a few high profile “wins” with a very limited if any effect at all, Norway continues to import Israeli goods. Year on year, there is a solid growth. If I were a BDS fund raiser, I would have a long and hard look at whats going wrong in Norway. A typical egg on face situation.
lifted from dagen.no (google translate)
Record Imports of goods from Israel
Never before has Norway bought so much merchandise from Israel last year . That despite boycotts .
ove.eikje @ dagen.no
Thursday 16 January 2014 , at. 5:39 p.m.
The preliminary figures from Statistics Norway, the Norwegian foreign trade last year shows that imports from Israel totaled NOK 806 million . It rose by 1.6 percentage points more than the overall imports from other countries.
– This is very disappointing numbers for us, for it is a shame that imports from Israel increased , says Annicken Lundgård , leader of the Palestine Committee , to the day .
Boycott a priority
– We would urge the government to recommend the Norwegian business community to end trade with Israel , which violate international law and oppress the Palestinian people , she added .
Palestine Committee has for several years worked for a boycott of goods from Israel and the manager does not think that this is counterproductive .
– We achieve increasingly some small victories , such as Ahava products are withdrawn from the Vita chain. Therefore, the boycott of Israeli goods a priority for us going forward , says Annicken Lundgård .
– Israel is violating International Law
Member of Parliament Bård Vegard Solhjell (SV ) has no problem with a little trade between Norway and Israel.
– But we believe it is wrong to buy goods from illegally occupied areas. Thus, Norway should refrain from this. In addition, it is important to emphasize that Norway does not have to supply weapons to Israel at war , says Solhjell .
He adds that it is not good that Norway is increasing trade with Israel , as long as they occupy Palestinian territories and violate international law.
Purchase goods from Israel
Dagen did a little shopping at several stores in Sandnes with Gunnar Folgerø and looked for goods from Israel.
– When I’m in stores , I try to find such items , and often I buy more than I had planned. I want to support Israel in this way , he says .
We find , among other Jaffa oranges , pomegranates , dates, peppers and Ahava products imported from Israel.
– Those who want to boycott Israeli goods do not know what they are talking about. If they do so, they must in case do without mobile phone and PC , there are components from Israel in these products , answer Gunnar Folgerø .
Dag Abrahamsen is the leader of the Norwegian – Israeli Chamber of Commerce . He is happy when he hears that imports from Israel increased.
– We are experiencing increasing interest in goods and products from Israel , he said.
Abrahamsen says that the real numbers are much higher than what appears at Statistics Norway.
– It ides not reflect the indirect imports of goods from Israel. Let me take, for example all new Intel processors manufactured in Israel and comes in all new PCs , he said.
– The cry of boycott of Israeli goods has no effect and is only symbolic politics . This has never been official policy from any Norwegian government, and its unlikely it ever would , says Dag Abrahamsen .
The head of Israel’s friends in Parliament , Hans Fredrik Grøvan rejoices over imports from Israel increased.
– These are very pleasing figures, and they document a growing trade between Norway and Israel. There is no doubt that Israel offers many goods that Norway needs, says Grøvan .
He also finds it interesting that imports from Israel increased last year by 1.6 percentage points more than the overall imports from other countries.
– The new import figures show that more and more people are discovering what Israel has to offer, and this helps to break the isolation that Israel has felt from the outside world , says Hans Fredrik Grøvan.
Yeah, and the ASA boycott call also worked wonderfully for the BDS movement, got their derrieres whipped from right, left and center, embarrassing public dressing downs from the most prestigious universities as well as the Congress.
I wonder if any of the weirdos who run loose there at BDS headquarters have ever read the story of Balak and Balaam? Just a thought….