lifted from vårtland.no, google translate
That a Norwegian Church affiliated youth organization now officially wants to boycott all of Israel ought not surprise anybody, not after all the boycott calls bishops and other officials have come with as Israel struggles to survive terror attacks. Bishop Atle Sommerfeldt, former secretary general for the Norwegian Church Aid does not even sound convincing when he thinks a boycott call for all of Israel is a bit too much, since he to a very large degree has been fanning the flames with his very selective approach to ME realities.
As for the YMCA-YWCA’s decision, keep it up, from what I can gather there is a furious response from outraged parents in the brewing, but what else can be expected from what remains of the Church of Norway.
YMCA-YWCA boycotting Israel
– we do not support a general boycott , says Bishop .
Published: February 21, Petter Nord Gaard Lorentzen
– We hope Israel sees this as a strong signal from a major movement in Norway , says Fredrik Glad- Gjernes , international manager at YMCA-YWCA Global .
At a meeting yesterday launched the organization with the Norwegian YMCA -YWCA , a campaign where they encourage ” broad economic boycott of Israel.”
– Now is the time ripe for this instrument . Many others have been tried, without occupation of Palestine has been completed. Therefore , we use economic embargo, which is a highly non- violent means . This has proved successful in other conflicts , says Glad- Gjernes .
The campaign starts now called the Free Palestine . Just Peace for Israel and Palestine : Stop the Occupation . Here the organization longer than the Norwegian Church , which only calls for boycott of goods produced in areas they consider to be occupied by Israel.
YMCA-YWCA has selected some products they ask members to boycott ( see fact box) .
– But of course it’s fine if people have the capacity to boycott everything that is produced in Israel , says Glad- Gjernes .
” SV- line .” Attitude gets rough treatment of Conrad Myrland , general manager of the organization With Israel for Peace ( MIFF ) .
– There is too weak to call this very tragic. Boycott of Israel remains as stupid and immoral even if the YMCA-YWCA hangs on , he said.
Other measures are needed to resolve the conflict , he said.
– Support and friendship from Europe will make Israel safe enough to make the compromises necessary for a peace agreement .
Myrland encourage congregations to break the YMCA-YWCA .
– I encourage all members of the organization that support democracy and freedom to protest the boycott campaign and resign in protest. I would also encourage all individuals and churches to cancel their support until the immoral boycott action is completed , he said.
Also Hans Olav Syversen ( KrF ) reacts . He is a member and former chairman of the group ” Friends of Israel ” in the Storting.
– It is very surprising that they take a SV- line on this issue .
Misreading . Atle Sommerfeldt , Borg Bishop and former leader of the NCA , said general economic boycott of Israel is not the way to go .
– I have great respect for the YMCA-YWCA longstanding solidarity work for Palestinian refugees. But I believe that economic sanctions should be limited to apply to products manufactured by Israeli companies in the occupied territories . A general boycott communicate very easily that Israel is not a legitimate government , which is incorrect. Therefore , I believe this kind of boycott is a legitimate tool , he says .
YMCA-YWCA is affiliated with the Norwegian Church. Ecumenical Council is an agency of the Norwegian Church, including dealing with international issues. General Berit Hagen Agøy the Ecumenical Council, says she will not comment on the campaign because she did not read the campaign demands , but says the body is not for a general boycott.
– We do not support a general boycott of Israel but oppose economic relations that help to maintain the occupation of Palestinian territory .
She adds that there are different views in the church about the boycott is an appropriate instrument in this conflict.
Required boycott. Study Manager Fredrik Glad- Gjernes YMCA-YWCA Global believes, however, a broad boycott is necessary.
– Hamas , which rules Gaza , is on the EU list of terrorist organizations . Will you introduce economic boycott of products that can give them income ?
– We do not support Hamas and have no understanding of their views . If necessary we will also obviously boycotting Hamas. But so far , we believe Israel is the party that is easiest to influence , he said.Updated : February 21