lifted from aftenposten.no (google translate)
2000 infants can be circumcised in hospitals
Minister of Health and welfare Bent Høie , H , believes it is most prudent to offer circumcision at public institutions .
Bent Høie allows for newborn boys to be offered circumcision at the hospital. The proposal for ritual circumcision in public hospitals are being promoted in Parliament over the coming weeks .
– When the children are circumcised in hospitals by competent personnel , we will prevent complications , says health minister.
Today three doctors were given warnings and had limitations imposed on their medic’s license after an infant died after circumcision almost two years ago. The boy died at home after being circumcised in a general practitioner ‘s office in Oslo. Minister of Health and welfare Bent Høie think you get better control of these operations by incorporating it in the public health system .
Simplest in public institutions
– We will ensure that circumcision is done properly in hospitals and by adequately trained personnel. Also, parents will receive appropriate information and good support . This is a simple and easy offer for the public , says Høie .
He said many of the boys can be circumcised in the hospital before returning home after birth .
– How did you arrive to this decision ?
– This is the most realistic way to ensure that infant boys are protect against harmful side effects . All other proposal has the consequence that they risk exposing the infants to injury.
– Was a ban any alternative ?
– No. There is no other country in the world who is banning the circumcision of boys. I think this is for the same reason mentioned before. A ban on something that is so common for religious or cultural reasons will not be for the good of the children.
2000 infants per year
Approx. 2000 boys are circumcised annually in Norway . According to the Ministry of Health and Care Services , the procedure costs approx. NOK 6400. Bent Høie has not decided whether to impose user fees for the procedure.
In Norway circumcision is practiced on religious, traditional basis by Muslims and Jews. Oslo police is currently investigating a death where a newborn boy died of blood loss after being circumcised. Previous reports have revealed that boys are circumcised with scissors at asylum seeker reception centers in Norway , and the bleeding infants are then rushed to emergency rooms and hospitals.
Without prejudice, but brit mila isn’t usually performed with scissors?