lifted from http://www.dagen.no (google translate)
– Israel boycott misses the target
The leaders of Acta , IMF Young , Youth With A Mission and Return2Sender refuse to participate in YMCA-YWCA boycott of Israeli goods . – Here we have Christian Europeans who pick out the Jewish state as the scapegoat to be brought to its knees. We do not want to be a part of this!
In February started YMCA-YWCA Campaign Free Palestine . Just Peace for Israel and Palestine for boycott of all Israeli goods .
– Israel must end the occupation of the Palestinian territories so that it would be possible to establish a just peace in the region, says overseas manager Fredrik Glad- Gjernes the of the YMCA-YWCA .
Naughties kid on the street ?
The leaders of four Christian youth organizations reacted strongly to the call for boycott , and believes that the YMCA-YWCA action ” misses the mark “.
– When Israel was picked out as the one to be boycotted in a neighborhood of other states that everyone is ” much naughtier ” in terms of human rights violations – what signal do we then give, they ask in a post on Return2Senders website.
These have signed:
Liv Hanne Andestad Langmoen , Acting CEO of Return2Sender , Israel Mission’s youth .
Marit Elisabeth Berling , Director of National Council and Espen Andreas Hasle, general manager , both from Acta , children and young people in Normisjon .
Andreas Nordli , national director of YWAM .
Kenneth Foss, Managing Director , IMF Young .
They ” want peace for the Israeli and Palestinian people” , but will not participate in a boycott of Israeli goods .
– In South Africa there were whites who boycotted to support the struggle of the blacks’ rights against a white regime. In relation to Israel , the picture is quite different: Here we have Christian Europeans who pick the Jewish state (who is far from the worst kid on the block on a world scale ) as the scapegoat to bring to its knees. We do not want to be a part of this!
Youth leaders believe a ” boycott will confirm the enemy image and victimhood on both sides. It will give Israel all the blame for the conflict and lack of a will for peace. ”
Hurts the Palestinians
– A boycott would also hurt many Palestinian workers who are unemployed ; this will lead to growing social unrest on the Palestinian side – which in turn will lead to more confrontations between Israelis and Palestinians . This does not provide a basis for creating a peaceful coexistence , on the contrary , it will help to deepen the conflict , writes Langmoen , Berling , Hasle , Nordli and Foss.
According to the YMCA-YWCA the boycott has support of churches and Christian organizations in the West Bank . Glad- Gjernes encourages the Norwegian Church to join the boycott, something the bishops have rejected.
The youth leaders behind the post to Return2Sender encourage nor the Norwegian Church to ” provide support and recognition to those do credible work for peace and reconciliation in the Middle East .”
– A boycott has the opposite effect.