lifted from dagen.no
Reacting to criticism of Israel at confirmation camp
Monday 27 October 2014, kl. 7:39 Updated: Monday 27 October 2014, kl. 7:45
ISRAEL CRITICISM A father reacted strongly to the pastor Tor Øystein Vaaland (pictured) brought strong criticism of Israel for a confirmation camp. The priest believes he spoke the oppressed.
– Pastor used a confirmation camp arena to agitate for one side of the conflict in the Middle East. This is done in an official capacity, says Dag Ousdal Asker Dagen.
He has written an article about the case, published on the debate pages of the Day today.
Ousdal is the father of one of the young people who attended the camp, and learned afterwards that the conflict was brought up as a topic of Pastor Tor Øystein Vaaland. The context was the Gaza War, and the message was clear: Israel was the scapegoat.
– I as a parent sending my child off in the belief that it should be taught in the Christian faith. At the well should be agitated for political views, I sensed nothing of. To send their children on outings under other management, involves showing confidence in those responsible. When this trust is misused, it is a serious infringement, according Ousdal.
When he learned of the parish priest political statements, he contacted Asker church for more clarity in the matter. The priest sent him a response by mail.
– The answer I got confirmed my suspicions. Here was no apology, just a confirmation and legitimization of what was done, says Dag Ousdal.
Pastor Vaaland believe that he came with strong political views about the conflict in the Middle East at confirmation camp, but criticized Israel’s attack on Gaza.
– In addition, I criticized policy of occupation and blockade of the Gaza Strip. This summer the painful pressure against the Palestinians further grew. I believe that I as a minister did and am doing the right when I speak the oppressed. I live well with the way this was going on during camp, says Tor Øystein Vaaland the day.
He sees nothing wrong in using a confirmation camp to talk about current events in the world.
– It is time to look ahead with young enthusiastic people to an area of the world where people suffer while the conflict is ongoing and the blood flows, such as in summer, and in my view timely, adding Vaaland to.
Pastor believes that he argued for specific policy solutions.
– There is currently little hope among Palestinians, and a key reason for this is that the world community just do not challenge Israel sufficient for the occupation policy forced to cease, says Vaaland.
He added that Israel’s friends have a big responsibility when you do not help Israel to deal with its repressive policies.
No “solo initiatives»
PASTOR OF Asker reject in its response to Ousdal that his views are a “solo initiative” from his side.
“The profile was firmly rooted in the Norwegian Church’s official stance on the conflict. Among other things, I can see the Inter-Church Council (MKR) guidance document on the Middle East for 2012-2014, adopted two years ago, where the principal attitudes of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is the same as I measurable at confirmation camp, “writes Tor Øystein Vaaland.
Day Ousdal is unhappy about these signals coming from the parish priest.
– If he is right in this, anyone who supports Israel’s side in the conflict must consider whether they can send their children to this type of events, he said.
Ousdal shows that many these days have become aware of the Islamic State (IS) brutality in Iraq and Syria.
– It may be worth noting that Hamas uses the same ideology. That parish priest finds it appropriate to use a Christian confirmation camp to criticize the country which is leading to combat these forces, is, to put it mildly, surprising.
No less serious
He adds that the case is no less serious when it comes to young and impressionable people.
– The way this is presented, the candidates for confirmation are easily led to believe that there is a connection between Christianity and animosity against Israel.